Sunday, January 24, 2010

Have you ever used a laser site when hunting game at night??? In full detail,what was it like?

What do you differently when night hunting with a laser site;than steps and actions taken during the day;compared to when you go on night hunts??? Is it easy or easier to hunt with a laser site attached to your rifle at night or is it to easy it's seems to be cheating??? What other ways of siting if game at night are there???... Thanks for all of the detailed answers... JamesHave you ever used a laser site when hunting game at night??? In full detail,what was it like?
okay let me start by qualify my authority on this subject matter. In addition to deer, elk, turkeys, bear, and so on I hunt with hounds and run a trap line. Hound hunting is my thing. It is what I do. When I am not running my pack I am reading about it, or resting up to go back out. You get the idea. Here in Oregon we are legally allowed to hunt cats and coons after dark with artificial light. Pursuit season opens Nov 15 and the whole thing is over March 15. I become nocturnal all winter long. It gets dark early and stays dark longer. The point is I have harvested hundreds of animals in pitch darkness. The best gun for what I do is a .22 rifle with a scope. A friend put a laser on his .223 and the problem is when you shine your light at the target to acquire its position you can't see the lazer. When you turn light off can't see target. Get it. Put a nice scope with excellent eye relief and good popped up mounts so WHEN you fall walking through the bs in the dark it still shoots strait. Then if you still think the laser is cool bolt one to the side of your all ready perfect set up.Have you ever used a laser site when hunting game at night??? In full detail,what was it like?
Actually, Laser sights are not a good idea. The animal you are hunting will be able to see the laser. It is much more easy for the animal to detect you when using a device like this.


You are giving the animal a better chance of getting away.


A laser sight is not very good for military use either. The enemy only need to follow the laser back to you to find you.


A laser is best used on a hand gun. No need to aim just look for the dot.
They are right about lasers not being good for night hunting and varmint control. I set up my son when he was a teen for killing barn rats in our hay barn. I attached a small Mag light with a red lens under the barrel of a Ruger 10/22 with a wide view fixed 4 power scope. Every one he shot were head shots. Worked like a charm. Most animals are not spooked from a red light also you don鈥檛 want the light too bright, just enough to see the animal and surroundings clearly.
Laser sights are best left to air soft guns and video games.





In my state hunting with laser projecting on target is illegal.
you said it , its cheating

No comments:

Post a Comment