Friday, May 14, 2010

Who's a good manufacturer of a compound bow for hunting or targeting?

The top three are Matthews, Hoyt, and Bow-tech. But almost any bow on the market would fit the description that you are looking for. You have to shoot each bow you are interested in and pick the one that suits you the best.Who's a good manufacturer of a compound bow for hunting or targeting?
There are at least a dozen good companies, many that focus on different price ranges for the products, but generally will cover the full range. Essentially all of them have professional shooters on staff testing, promoting and competing with their equipment. Professional shooters make a living by winning or being very successful on hunts, so none will tolerate substandard gear.





Thus, in general, the manufacturer doesn't really matter that much, just the fit of the bow to you and how you shoot with it. So, my advice is to start with Price Range, then look at fit. As a new shooter I highly recommend you work with a good pro shop rather than on - line so you get set up with gear that works well together and is tuned well. (I'm assuming you are new because this is a pretty basic level question.)





However, to answer your questions specifically, the companies I personally can recommend from experience are (in no particular order):


Martin (my current Target bow is a Martin Pro X10)





Browning (My favorite 3-D bow was a Browning Midas, I can't believe I sold it to get a lousy 20 more FPS),





Bow-Tech (A great bow and what I replaced the Browning for, but it just doesn't fit me quite as well)





Oneida (these are among the more unique looking compounds on the market, and the ones I have shot were exceptionally smooth and fast. My ex - wife's target bow as an Oneida)





PSE (my best friend's bow is a PSE, and I've done a good bit of shooting with it as well. It is one of their lower end, and I was impressed with the shootability at the lower price point)





Hoyt (my next bow could be a Hoyt. I have shot several different models and have loved them every time, but couldn't quite afford them at those moments.)





Of course there are other very reputable brands, Bear, Mathews, Darton, etc. I just don't have the same level of personally experience with them. I will caveat my comments that I am a finger shooter, and with the exception of the Bow-Tech which I bought in a short burst of insanity looking for more speed, am looking for longer axle to axle bows with smoother cams, deflex risers, etc. All of these companies also make hard core speed demon gear, I just haven't ever really shot those.








ThinkingbladeWho's a good manufacturer of a compound bow for hunting or targeting?
Mathews


Fred Bear


Pse





These are all good compound bow makers..
mathews.

No comments:

Post a Comment